So how do you reach out and connect with customers and clients to tell them about the fabulous things you do?
There’s a time and a place for free communications that can work wonders. But you may need to consider spending some cash too.
Let’s take a quick look to explore this idea a bit more…
Use free channels of communication
- To experiment and try something new without investing money. Test the messages that work well and resonate with people. Think about creating a content calendar for free.
- To understand what works well and ways to improve. You can do a ‘soft’ launch to throw ideas out in to the world with low risk.
- Enjoy being authentically creative to share your brand image and unique perspective of knowledge and expertise.
- Tell a story that is emotive and engaging. People will connect with it and enjoy learning more about you.
- Put yourself visible as the ‘face’ of the business
Examples: create a content calendar for social media. This could include a social media planner with posts to increase your instagram followers.
Create a blog post content calendar with editorial content. Ask your customers for reviews, create an email newsletters or share news stories and PR. Consider creating a video content calendar and don’t forget to include auto captions and subtitles so it’s accessible.
… but there are times when you may want to invest some money to advertise your products and services.
Try paid advertising
- To give you control to decide who sees your message.
- Choose how, when and where your message is shared. Think of it as a targeted approach
- Pay to share messages so you can guarantee ‘eyeballs and foot fall’. Paying allows you to control that people will certainly see your content on a screen or while they out and about on a billboard for example.
- To understand your audience. Who are you talking to and what can you learn about them. Paid adverts can give you some insightful clues.
- Spending on advertising gives you functionality and options in apps and software that gives you more tools and options to play with.
- When you spend on communications you can ask clear questions about the success of the advert. Ask for detailed data to understand clicks, impressions reach and more, for example
Examples: pay to advertise in places and spaces such as digital platforms: Spotify, Meta, Google, Tik Tik) could be good places to start. Look at the rules for selling products on Instagram as an idea.
Find this useful? Read this article too
Want to know more?
Louise is a media, marketing and communications specialist with over 20 years experience working in TV, Radio, print and online media for BBC and Commercial brands, businesses, and services.